Sunday, May 12, 2013

one year of being home and about our sixteen(!)-month-old



It's been one year since we moved into our dear little home.

What a year we've had too, I can't believe how much has changed and how much has stayed the same. We have made some great memories here, and I can't wait to make many more in the years to come.

I love where we live even more than I ever thought I would, which is really a very good feeling to have. Anytime that I come home after being away, even for a few hours, I feel so very thankful to be living where we do, and I just feel this sense of peace and happiness come over me as I turn onto our little gravel road, and then into our even more little gravel drive. 

There's just something so lovely about living in a place that you love so much. It's not perfect, but it's definitely home to me and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the whole world.



If you go back to my post about moving in exactly one year ago today, you will see that Riggs was just four months old. My how he has grown! 

birth
9lbs4oz (91%) | 21.5inches (96%) | 36.5cm head circumference (66%)

four months
17lbs3oz (80%) | 27inches (94%) | 43.4cm head circumference (70%)

sixteen months
22lbs8oz (15%) | 33inches (85%) | 49cm head circumference (87%)


What a special treat to be the mother of a sweet and joyful sixteen-month-old boy who loves to play outside with trucks and dirt but who also loves to give his mama cuddles and kissies.

My little Riggs is such a talker these days, with quite an extensive vocabulary of both real-yet-sometimes-hard-to-interperet words and completely-uninteligable-"is he even speaking English?"-jumbled-together phrases. He says dad-dad, mama, uh-oh, ball, dog, book, num-num, shoe, no-no, door, Lyla, amen, night-night, please and has just started to say 'I-don't-know' (crazy!) and 'I-love-you' (so sweet). He also looks at us very intently, raises his eyebrows, and tells us very important details in a low, mumbly voice that we can't even begin to understand but think is very cute.

He understands phrases and follows through on simple commands, like 'shut the door, please', 'grab your shoes', and 'give mama a pat-pat' (followed by the sweetest little pat on my back with his chubby little hand). He is very cooperative getting dressed and puts his arms out for each sleeve as well as his feet out for each pant leg. He still loves his smoothies and blueberries by the handful and lots of water and 'milk' three or four times a day (he asks for milk when he wants to breastfeed). He's not a big fan of avocado (we sneak it in the smoothies) or pizza or homemade fruit snacks (more on that in a later post).

He has 10 going on 14 teeth and just learned how to 'say cheese' when mama takes his picture. He still loves books - both being read to and 'reading' them himself by pointing at the words and saying 'bada bada bada' on each page before closing the book with a huge grin and saying 'deee' (his general word for being excited). He lights up our lives daily and we love him so much! I'm so happy he has such a sweet little house to spend his childhood years in and can't wait to make lots of memories with him!

5 comments:

  1. What a great update! And what a little cutey he is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mothers Day Whitney! Riggs is such a little sweetheart. I love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always loved pics of your home... it looks so comfy the way you decorated it... great style <3
    Riggs in the pushcart is so sweet... I´m crazy for his face... and there are some photos I really think I see my Lina

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so sweet, you are such a lovely mom and riggs is a little doll. i have been reading your blog for a little while now, i don't know how i found it, but i just wanted to tell you i think you are so lovely and appreciative in life, i love your positive attitude, and you are so beautiful too :)
    and oh how i love your home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Mother's Day...and home anniversary!

    ReplyDelete