Wednesday, May 1, 2013

forfeited peace & needless pain


Yesterday, I sat in Riggs room and just watched him as he happily looked at book after book. He was sitting on top of a pile of toys he had taken from the baskets, played with for a bit, and discarded to play with the next interesting thing. We had such a great day, you would never have know what had happened the night before. Thanks to some really encouraging comments and insights from some friends and family (thank you all so much, you have no idea what a blessing your words were!), and some much needed time in prayer, my heart and mind were back where they needed to be as a mama.

I recently purchased an extensive collection of kids praise songs from iTunes (such a great deal if you're looking for something similar, only $9.99 for 100 songs) and they were playing in the background while Riggs played. Song after song brought back great memories for me from my own childhood, and I'm happy to be able to share them with my own little Riggy.

One song came on that I have always loved to sing in Church, What a Friend We Have in Jesus. It's such a familiar song to me that I was just sort of zoning out, until these lyrics just jumped out at me and completely caught my attention:


I've probably heard this song at least one thousand times in my life, and I know the lyrics by heart. But I never fully grasped the true meaning of the words until yesterday, in Riggs room, as I was watching him play.

I worry about so many things, wasting time and emotional energy, when I should be trusting in God. I share my worries with Steve and family and friends, dwelling on issues big and small, when I should be sharing them with God first and giving each worry up to him. How much peace have I given up? Unfortunately I'm pretty sure the answer is a lot.

How many times have I suffered through needless pain by letting an issue weigh heavily on my heart for hours, days and sometimes even weeks without remember to pray about it every day and give it up to God?

I felt so convicted as I listened to words of the song, and it's been in the back of my mind constantly since then. Even the smallest worries (and of course the biggest) are important to bring to God, he should be our source of peace and comfort, and we should be taking our problems to him, before anyone else, including our spouses, family and best-friends.

Do you have a favorite verse that reminds you not to worry and to instead trust in God? These are two of my favorites:

"I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world" John 16:33

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4: 6-7

1 comment: