Tuesday, May 14, 2013

people who like books: read this

I am a reader. I love books and I always have. Growing up I was always and I mean always in the middle of the book. I remember staying up late in high school, not to do homework, but to finish a book I had started earlier that day during class or at lunch. Seriously, I love to read. 

Since I had Riggs, I admit I haven't read much other than magazines and a few fast reads (like the Southern Vampire Mysteries written by Charlaine Harris). Also at least a hundred different books about pregnancy, childbirth, and parenting including at least ten alone on just the topic of sleep. But those don't really count. 

The best thing I've discovered since having Riggs has been audio books, but even that just doesn't satisfy my urge for holding a good paperback book in my hands and getting lost in the word within. I've noticed lately that with Riggs getting older and summer coming up I can actually read real books again, and I'm making a list of books I need to either borrow, get from the library or (if they're good enough) to buy.

Here's what I've come up with so far:


by Suzanne Collins
Yes I realize I'm crazy for not having read these yet, but when I know a series is going to be good I really really try to wait until they're all out so I can just gobble them up and not have to go through the pure agony of waiting and waiting (and waiting George R.R. Martin!!!!!!) for the next (or last...MARTIN!) book to come out.



by Charlain Harris
This is the last book in the Southern Vampire Mysteries series, better known as the Sookie Stackhouse books or the books they based the True Blood TV show on. I hate vampire stuff so I'm really really surprised that I like these but they really suck you in. I have to say the writing is purely terrible in some parts but the story is pretty good. So I get entertainment in two ways, from the actual story line and from the bad writing. Win and win.


      


by Sarah Jio
These books were recommended by another blogger and when I went and read a] the authors bio and b] the descriptions for the books I knew I had to read them. They aren't a series but I guess the characters from one of the books are in another of the books or something confusing like that. I'll know more once I actually read them I guess.



by Judy Blume
This was also recommended by another blogger and it sounds like the perfect summer read. I think I'll just check this one out from the library as I'm sure they'll have it.

Now it's time for you to tell me any other books that I just have to read this summer. Pretty please?! I need your help! :)

3 comments:

  1. I love vampire stories. The stackhouse ones are good, but no comparison to you know that other famous series with the movies and all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read any of the Outlander books? They're a pretty good series of semi-historical fantasy (time travel, 18th century Highlands, and a love story in which the characters actually age).

    And in the same (but even less believable) vein, the Temeraire books (transposing Napoleon and dragons)!

    I have just discovered Kate Griffin. Her Midnight Mayor series is pretty fantastic (though a fair bit of swearing). It's rather Neil Gaiman-esque. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whitney, I have the outlander series if u want to borrow. Another series that is a good summer read is the Mitford series by Jan Karon (which u could also borrow).

    ReplyDelete