Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Strawberry-Rhubarb Muffins


Summer brings lots of great things, but one of my favorite things about the warmer months is all the fresh, local produce available. Rhubarb is just so summer to me, especially when mixed with strawberry. Last summer I made lots of strawberry-rhubarb muffins and this summer I'm back at it again. I try to make them often, since they're easy to bring along in the morning for Steve.

Strawberry-Rhubarb Muffins

1.5 cups unbleached flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp salt
1.5 tsp baking soda
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 stick melted butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp grated orange rind (optional, but oh-so-good)
1 cup chopped rhubarb
1 cup sliced strawberries
Mix dry in a large bowl. Mix wet separately. Add wet to dry. Stir in berries and rhubarb. Spoon into greased muffin pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Original recipe from SouleMama.

2 comments:

  1. these look amazing. Mr. Riggs has the right idea with a muffin in one hand and fresh, cold milk in the other :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. eep.. I've never tried rhubarb.. .
    Fern will eat anything, and these look pretty fantastic.. I may just have to get out of my comfort zone a little bit.

    ReplyDelete