Monday, March 10, 2014

sunny afternoons and flatbread pizza


As I type this post, my wind chimes are chiming violently and the sky is a dark shade of grey. A far cry from the warm sunny days we had last week! 

Friday Steve was trying to get some plumbing projects done in the house, so Riggs, Tutka and I headed just down the Old Glenn to the Knik River to play outside. It was a beautiful day, a little chilly in the shade but in the warmth of the sun it was a perfect 'spring' day (in Alaska). We walked all around the river bed in the snow, throwing the ball for Tutka and letting Riggs explore whichever way he chose to go. 


We eventually meandered our way up to the old steel structure bridge. Riggs was so excited to cross it - my heart was beating a little crazy though since there weren't any edges. I watched Riggs like a hawk when he wasn't holding my hand. It was a long drop down to the river!

I wore this old flannel of Steve that was shrunk a while ago.
It basically still looked like a tent on me, but that's ok.
at least I was warm and my belly wasn't hanging out haha

When we got home it was time to think about dinner, and pizza was at the top of my list. Steve had made some amazing flatbread pizzas earlier in the week, so I decided to make some of my own.

These are seriously so good and easy, and the options for toppings and sauces are basically endless. We used a sweet & sour chili sauce, then topped them with cheddar & mozzarella cheese, pineapple, chicken and green onions. Soooo yummy!

Flatbread Pizza with Sweet Red Chili Sauce & Pineapple

greek flatbread (I used whole wheat)
sweet & spicy chili sauce
crushed pineapple
chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite size pieces (we used one large breast for three pizzas)
shredded cheddar cheese
shredded or 'torn' mozzarella cheese
green onion for garnish

preheat oven to 425 degrees F. place flatbread on baking sheet (however many you need for your family, we only needed three to share between Steve, Riggs and I). coat liberally with sauce, then add a thin layer of cheese. top with pineapple, chicken and the white part of the green onion stalk, chopped (optional). then top with more cheese and sprinkle green onions on top. bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are just starting to brown and cheese is completely melted. devour.

No comments:

Post a Comment