Tuesday, October 8, 2013

fall means baking: molasses cookies


One of my favorite things about fall and winter is the baking. I just love to bake up lots of cookies and pies and breads. And there's one type of cookie in particular that personifies fall/winter baking for me: Molasses Cookies.

You know, rolled in sugar, nice and crackly, crispy on the outside and just soft enough on the inside. Mmmmmm! So good. I make batches and batches of these every single year from October to December, and they never get old.

Next time you feel like baking something, I highly suggest you pull up this recipe and get to work. Put on some good music, tie those aprons straps around your waist, and get to work.

Soft Molasses Cookies

[original source]

1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup shortening (soo bad. we use lard, much 'healthier' for you)
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1 cup of whole wheat flour and 1 1/4 cup of regular)
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt

3 TBS granulated sugar (for rolling dough in)

1 | preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix brown sugar, shortening/lard, molasses, and egg together until combined.
2 | Add in all the other ingredients (except sugar) and stir until just combined.
3 | Shape dough into round, 1 1/2" balls. Dip into sugar and roll around till covered. Place on ungreased cookie sheet about 2" apart.
4 | Bake 12-14 minutes or until just set and cookies appear dry. Immediately move to cooling rack.
5 | Try not to eat them all :)


These cookies are perfect for little ones to help with. Riggs loved rolling them in sugar and putting them on the baking sheet for me. He also loved trying to sneak some raw dough and eating as much of the sugar as he could ;)


These come out of the oven looking soooo perfect. I was strong and resisted the urge to stuff as many in my mouth as possible while they were still warm, but just barely. If you do decide to sneak one fresh off the cookie sheet, you will not be disappointed. And not only will the cookies taste amazing, but your house will smell amazing as they bake. Perfect!


Afterwards, if you or your helper are covered in sugar like Riggy was, feel free to take a quick bath. Sink baths are always a favorite around here!

13 comments:

  1. So anytime you want to bake, you can set up shop in my kitchen. These look wonderful! I love molasses flavoured things in the fall/winter...that sounds weird now that I type it out. Love the overhead shots of rigs baking. AND the sink - total mama moment - love :)

    .:Marta:.

    p.s is lard really healthier!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could just pop over and get baking! They are soooo good and I'm sure our boys would love playing together while the baking was hapening ;)

      I guess lard truly is healthier! Crazy sounding, but I guess shortening has the bad fats and lard has the 'good' fats!

      Delete
  2. Love molasses cookies! My mom's are the best (although yours look pretty amazing too!)...now I'm craving them! Might have to whip some up this afternoon! :)
    You have the cutest little helper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are sooo good aren't they?! You should post your moms recipe! I'm always looking for new and time honored recipes :)

      Delete
    2. I was just going to make some cookies and remembered this post - I got out my mom's recipe - it's IDENTICAL to this one (except for butter instead of shortening or lard)!! Ha!! Busted, mom! :)

      Delete
  3. What kind of baking sheets do you use? I am looking for a new set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use the pampered chef baking stones or Nordic ware sheets. Both work great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OHMYGOSH...pinning these! Making them this week! These look so yummy, can you believe I've never made molasses cookies? I'm insane obviously. Love that gorgeous view from your kitchen window too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We got a KitchenAid mixer for our wedding and I am in love with it. It makes me want to bake all the time! I just made pumpkin cookies this weekend, but these cookies may be next on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks a lot like the molasses crinkles I make for my family. I had wondered about lard in cookies. I use it in pies all the time. Does it leave a taste in the cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you think you could use butter instead of shortening or lard?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You definitely can, I think it makes them a little bit different consistency, maybe a little crunchier around the edges? I noticed that a lot of other recipes are very similar except they use butter. So I'm sure it would be just fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super! I'm going to give them a try with butter over the weekend. Crisco just kind of grosses me out sometimes. Haha!

    ReplyDelete