Monday, July 9, 2012

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pancakes

This morning, before I had gotten out of bed and more importantly, before I had eaten breakfast, I was scrolling through the Pinterest app on my phone.  Just so you know, it is always a bad idea to browse Pinterest while hungry.  I scrolled through pin after pin that showed scrumptious looking pictures of dinner food and desserts, and then I came to a picture of chocolate chip oatmeal pancakes, and they claimed to be healthy.  I suddenly had the motivation I needed to get out of bed, and after Riggs was changed and dressed, I was in the kitchen, excitedly whipping these up.

They turned out to be quite delicious, although they are a few things I would tweak for next time.  Unfortunately, I didn't plan ahead enough to take pictures with my real camera, so I only have some iPhone pictures for you.

I found this recipe on the blog, Minimalist Baker, and have copied the recipe directly from that site.  Please visit her blog to find more amazing and healthy recipes :)

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes
4.8 from 18 reviews
Print

Recipe type: Breakfast
Author: Minimalist Baker
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 10 mins
Serves: 2
These pancakes taste just like a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie but without any of the butter and sugar of the real thing. From start to finish, they take about 10 minutes and require just one bowl. They can also be made both gluten-free and vegan-friendly.
Ingredients
  • 1 very ripe medium banana (I used 1/3 cup organic unsweetened applesauce)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 2.5 Tbsp water)
  • pinch salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 Tablespoon almond butter (I used organic peanut butter)
  • 1 Tablespoon canola oil (or coconut oil) (I used organic extra virgin coconut oil)
  • 3 Tablespoons almond milk (or sub other milk) (I used organic unsweetened coconut milk)
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (or gluten free oats)
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat or unbleached flour (or sub other flour)
  • 3 Tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips (non-dairy for vegan)
Instructions
  1. Preheat a skillet to medium heat or about 300-325 degrees.
  2. Prepare flax egg by mixing flaxseed meal and water and letting set for 3-5 minutes.
  3. Mash your very ripe banana (or applesauce) with baking powder.
  4. Add flax egg, oil, salt, vanilla, almond butter, almond milk and stir.
  5. Stir in oats and flour until just combined.
  6. Sprinkle in chocolate chips and fold gently.
  7. Scoop scant 1/4 cup measurements onto lightly greased griddle.
  8. Cook for 2-4 minutes on each side – until golden brown.
  9. Serve plain or with a small drizzle of maple syrup and a few additional chocolate chips for melting.
Serving size: 3.5 pancakes Calories: 400 calories Fat: 18 g Sugar: 20 g Fiber: 6.5 Protein: 7 g
Notes
* Should yield 5-6 small pancakes.* Make gluten free by using gluten-free oats and flour.* Adding 1 Tablespoons of honey, maple syrup, sugar or agave nectar is optional for extra sweetening, but I didn’t find it necessary.
* Reheat great the following day in the microwave.

what you'll need
making the flax "egg"





mine batter never really cooked up quite as nicely as I would have liked...probably a bit too much applesauce
my helper
perfect start to my day

Like I mentioned in one of the photo captions, my batter didn't quite cook up as I would have liked, and it was probably due to the amount of applesauce I used.  Regardless of that, these were delicious and were a great way to start my day.  {Sorry once again for the blurry and dark iPhone photos, next time I'll just make time to get my real camera out}

2 comments:

  1. Those. Look. So. Delicious! I am definitely going to have to try them :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps- I love your pinterest warning hehee

    ReplyDelete