Saturday, March 30, 2013

Easter Eggs with plant-based dyes and a sick baby (again)


I don't think I've dyed any eggs for the past couple of years, but when we were kids it was one of the highlights of our Easter weekend. So when I saw this pin on Pinterest for naturally dyed easter eggs, I decided to try it out this year. I picked up some kale, cabbage, spinach, and carrots, and then used some tea I already had at home.

I boiled each item in about 2 cups of water for an hour, that had the house smelling pretty funky. I happened to be staying at my parents when I tried this out, so thank you Mom & Dad for letting me stink up your house with my little science project! Next I strained the veggies/tea and threw away whatever non liquids were left - all the nutritional value was now in the colored water after being boiled so long.


I put each color in a mason jar with a little vinegar (this helps the dye 'stick' to the eggs better), the mason jars were the perfect size because each one fit two eggs each. Riggs helped me drop the eggs in the jars, and then I left them overnight so that the dyes would really have a chance to work. 


In the morning I pulled them out of the fridge and drained the liquid form each jar, leaving some pretty funky looking eggs. I wish I would have taken pictures of them before I dried each one, each one had a pretty thick, slimy film on it. 

Despite the weird, slimy film, I am pretty happy with how they turned out! Riggs thought they were pretty interesting too, although he's sick right now with a bad cough and his first fever ever, so he wasn't as enthusiastic as I know he normally would be. 



I just have to share some pictures of Riggs, showing how sad and pathetic he was nearly the whole time we were doing the eggs. He just felt so bad, and my heart hurt for him. He's a little better today, although he still has a fever. I'm praying he feels good enough tomorrow that we can make it to church!

1 comment:

  1. The eggs turned out awesome... but that was pretty lots of work, wasn´t it?

    Riggs face... these pics give me a pain in my heart! Fortunately I know that you mama are caring for him perfectly... hope so he is healthy very soon!

    ReplyDelete