Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Thunderbird Falls is best in the fall!


Steve's dad and his wife came up from Homer for the weekend. It was great to see them and it was an especially special visit because it was their first time actually meeting Raina. Sunday was a beautiful, crisp fall day so we all piled in our truck for the drive to Thunderbird Falls, about twenty minutes outside of Anchorage.

I haven't been in forever and had forgotten how beautiful it is there. I felt like I was taking a stroll through Rivendell, it was just magical. Raina slept nearly the whole time but Riggs walked the entire way to the falls, about a mile I think, and uphill nearly the whole way. He was pretty worn out by the time we reached the falls and it was naptime too so I packed him up in the ergo and carried him the way back. It was funny to hear all the comments about what a 'load' I was carrying as we passed people along the trail. I loved getting to snuggle both babies close, and it was a great workout too.

If you live in Alaska, you need to go to Thunderbird Falls and take in all the beautiful fall colors before they're gone.




After the hike we headed to Palmer for the lunch at the Palmer City Alehouse. It was delicious as usual and truly an enjoyable meal because somehow both kids were happy/sleeping when our food came and both Steve and I were able to eat our meals while they were still warm.

I'm so glad Rick and Dorle finally got to meet Raina - they were pretty smitten with her I think ♥

13 comments:

  1. Oh I miss this hike so much!!! Our old house backed up to the trail and we would run out and walk it almost everyday. The sound of the falls is the most amazing thing. We didn't make it out there this summer, but these pictures make me want to load up the kids and go right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the double load. Definitely looks like the best kind of workout. And, total win getting to eat fresh and warm food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, that first picture is perfect. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That picture of Riggs peeking around the tree is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am soooo jealous you used to live there! Steve and I drove through the neighborhood and said if we ever need to move closer to anchorage, that's where we are moving. Did you like living there? And you should totally go sometime soon! it was gorgeous. I'd like to go in the winter, did you ever do that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha it definitely was a workout! I need to do it more often ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. my father in law took it and I love it so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We absolutely loved living in that neighborhood. We were so sad when our house had so many roof issues. Chris snow shoed the trail a few times when we lived there (I was way to pregnant to do anything of that kind) haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where do you get all Raina's knit hats?! Good baby hats are so hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous hike!!! All these pictures are just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I seriously love that you had both babies snuggled up against you on the hike!! Gorgeous photos as usual, and I loved these last few pics especially of Rick and Dorle looking at Raina!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love that first picture of you and Steve (Raina's in there too). Looks like a perfect fall day for a hike to the falls. (as you can see, I'm catching up on my blog reading, so I'm commenting away...hope that's ok!?!)

    ReplyDelete