Tuesday, March 6, 2012

making progress {another crafting post}


{today I am linking up to one of my new favorite blogs, Frontier Dreams, as part of her Keep Calm, Craft On group.  
Be sure to head over and check everyone else's craft projects out!}


One of my favorite things is completing a craft project, there is really nothing in the world like it.  Yesterday I managed to finished two pairs of longies and a little hat to match one pair.  I am so happy with how they turned out and cannot wait to finish the other two pairs that are cut out and ready to sew.  I need to go hunt for some more sweaters, because I seriously love these so much and would like to have wool longies be the only pants he really wears.

As a baby, they are very practical (especially here in Alaska) because they regulate his heat so well.  If he gets too warm and sweats, they still keep him warm while a little damp and they are by far the warmest option when it's cold out.  Can you tell I love them?


The little gray longies I made to fit him right now.  They were made out of a nice and thick mens sweater and I really love how they turned out.  I made them with a pretty high rise so that they will fit him longer and so that he can wear his bulkiest diaper under them and still have some growing room.  They are probably about 3-6 months in size.


These are probably my favorites, but they won't fit him for a while.  They will be perfect for when he starts walking because they are thinner and have a nice cuff for around his ankles.  I decided to make a little matching gnome-type hat to go with them and I love how they turned out!  They are probably about 12-18 months in size.

My next mission is to find some patterned sweaters for making more longies and hats.  I also nabbed some "hand-me-downs" from Steve for making some shirts and thinner wool leggings for Riggs out of his worn through Smartwool shirts and long-johns.  They won't work for felting since they are washable, but they will still be very warm and soft against his skin.  Steve wears all wool (or sometimes 100% cotton) for working in because of the risk of electric shock, and he wears through them (especially the long-johns) pretty quick due to the nature of his work.  I'm excited to be sewing more garments for Riggs, since that is one skill I've been the least confident about.

I didn't have a chance to finish his new, thinner gnome-hat, as we had family in town today and I only managed to get a few rows in this morning before they got here.  Hopefully it and the other longies will be finished soon!

1 comment:

  1. I was just reading your book list-matural crochet is one of my faves i got it in the fall-so sweet...and I have growing up sew liberated-it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete