Monday, November 11, 2013

our first (real) snow


I went to bed last night with the biggest smile on my face. Why, you wonder? It was snowing! Big fluffy flakes that were quickly collecting on the yard and the branches of the trees. I looked at the weather report and saw that it was supposed to snow all night. And it did! We woke up to "-nowww!!" as Riggs called it when he looked out his window and saw it. 

We had to go out and play in it and it was especially fun since Steve had the day off too. It was the perfect ending to a truly lovely weekend. I am so incredibly thankful for my family and just so 100% in love with life. 


As I was pulling Riggs in the sled and taking pictures, I couldn't help but remember the last time we had played out in the snow in his sled. How much can change in just seven months! Riggs seems so so so much older than he did then, and I'm looking forward to what winter playtime will be like for him now that he can walk.

When he was walking along pulling his own sled, I had a sad moment thinking that he looked like he was twelve. HOW did my baby get so big and independent?! Tomorrow he will be 22 months old, and that means only two months (eight weeks!!) until he turns two. Gulp. I'm trying so very hard to live in each day as it passes and not to wish them away. I wish I could hold on to them and make them last just a little bit longer, even the hard days! They are all so precious to me, each one a blessing from God.


I want to take a moment to wish a very happy Veterans Day to those who have served our country and to their families as well. I am so very thankful. Today I was especially thinking of my own family members who have served in various branches of the Armed Forces - Grandpa Wes (Air Force), Grandpa Clarence (WWII vet, Army), my brother-in-law John (Navy), my cousin John (Marines), cousin Will (Air Force), Uncle Larry and Uncle John, and many, many more. I thought of all our friends who have served or are still serving today. And I just want to say thank you, from the very bottom of my heart, to every single soldier who has served in the past, and to those who are serving today.

On a final note, I had to share this funny picture that Tutka totally photo-bombed. Happy Monday!!

8 comments:

  1. How fun! It looks like you guys had a blast :) I can't wait for snow to come to Newhalen!

    ♡ Natalie of LIVE TEACH ALASKA

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is so cute! I'm so jealous of your snow. I grew up in an area with snow all winter. Now we're in the Pacific Northwest and we rarely get snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, where did you get those blue glasses? I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best photo bomb ever! Happy first snow fall! Riggs is the cutest!


    .:Marta:.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Natalie, we had a blast! I bet it will be so beautiful there with snow and ice on the river!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a horrible year for snow last winter and this year it was the latest it's ever snowed (on record) so I feel your pain! I love snow so much and feel like I can't enjoy winter unless there's snow to go out and enjoy! Maybe you guys will get more snow this year, fingers crossed!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Kimberly, he loves them too:) Steve (my husband) got them at a hardware store - I guess they're youth sized safety glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha I thought so too Marta! I laughed out loud when I saw the photo because I never noticed when I was taking the photo:)

    ReplyDelete