Tuesday, February 19, 2013

spare change

I found out something new last week that I just had to share with somebody!  I've been collecting the spare change that Steve dumps out of his pockets every day after work for nearly a year now, and I finally got around to taking them to Fred Meyer to cash them in.  I wasn't looking forward to the percentage that the big green machine takes (I think it's up to 10.9% now, yuk).  Also I'm a little OCD so I counted the change before I left the house to make sure that the machine didn't 'steal' some of my change, ha ha.  


One of the other reasons I like to sort through the coins before I leave the house is because I love to look for old coins.  It is always a little amazing to me to think that many of these coins have been around since before I was born.  This time I found a penny that was from 1950 and a dime from 1943.  It nearly gives me goosebumps to think of all that these coins have been through and all the people who have had them in their possession.


 Anyway, when I first started following the prompts on the sorting machine, I noticed that there was a gift card option in addition to the cash voucher option.  I clicked on it, mostly because there was no fee if you chose this option.  I was surprised to see how many different retailers you could get a gift card to!  I highly recommend this option if you have a change jar piling up somewhere.  I was already planning a visit to Gap for myself and Riggs, so I was thrilled to see them on the gift card list.

not bad, eh? 

4 comments:

  1. Are there other gift card options than the ones you see on the screen there? Gap owns all of those companies (not a bad thing) and you can use a gap card online for any of them. I usually ask for an Old Navy card for Christmas and use it at all of the stores online. They ship it all together and you can get free shipping if your total is over $50. P.S. Shopping online for Gap and Old Navy is great because you can shop a wider selection of clearance and sale items. Cool find! I will be using it later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Amy there were lots of other options for gift cards, I just happened to choose the Gap 'family' option. The ones I remember off the top of my head were Home Depot, Lowes, and Best Buy, but there were five more pages of options that I didn't look at because I knew I wanted the gift card to Gap. :)

      Delete