Tuesday, January 22, 2013

On Anne Shirley

I've been rereading the Anne of Green Gables Series over the last week or so (when I say reading I mean 20% actual reading and about 80% listening to the audio versions of the books from Librivox).  I don't know how many times I've read these books - I truly have no idea.  Any it doesn't matter because I'll read them many more times again the years to come.

I was listening to Anne of the Island while making dinner last night, tears in my eyes for the 5th or 6th time, and I realized that I really think Anne's story may be the most beautiful I've ever read (or ever will read for that matter).  The joy and light that she brings to Matthew and Marilla and the love and care that she receives in return - it's just heartwarming-ly perfect.  The community of Avonlea just seems so homey and imperfect yet perfect all at the same time.  And of course, there is Gilbert.  Anne and Gil's love story is the thing of dreams and I just love the journey that they both take to realize their love for each other, and then the life they build together once they are (finally!) married and living in their house of dreams.


Source: fanpop.com via Whitney on Pinterest

The way that it is all written just soothes my nerves and fills my heart with warmth and a sense of beauty and makes these books a true pleasure to read year after year.  I love the descriptive passages that in other books might seem somewhat tedious and boring.  I've come to realize that the setting is what really completes the story and makes it so incredibly lovely.  From the first time I read the books, I knew that Prince Edward Island is the only place that could ever even tempt me to move away from Alaska.  And Anne 'lived' during a time when daily life was so different than it is now, so simple and yet full of hard work.  I've often daydreamed of living then, and when I read these books I am even more convinced that I was meant to live during a different time (although as this blog indicates, I do enjoy some modern convinces  ahem).  Regardless of when I was meant to live, I know that I would have enjoyed it then - the dresses and the mannerisms and the language - I could go on and on.  There are many things about life then that can be emulated now - the simple way of living, the knitting and sewing and cooking and wood stoves.

This simple living is one of the reasons I so loved visiting my grandparents at their cabin with no electricity or running water, but more 'scope for the imagination' than could ever be found at home in Anchorage.  There was a smooth stump a little way down the hill from their cabin, past the blueberry bushes, among the tall spruce and birch trees.  Sitting there and looking out over the valley below I could breath and think and imagine all kinds of things.  I loved it.  There have been many times over the years that I've thought of that stump and wished to be there, in the peaceful quiet, enjoying the smell of the woods with a little hint of wood smoke drifting down from the cabin.  There are so many times in the Anne books that she ventures out into nature and just sits and is alone with her dreams and I always loved to read about it.  It is so comforting to read about  person so similar to me, a kindred spirit.

Perhaps my most favorite thing about the books is that they follow nearly every season of Anne's life.  It is always so hard to invest yourself into a story, and get involved with the characters of that story, only to have it come to an end on that both hoped for and dreaded last page.  I often find myself in 'the depths of despair' when I've finished a particularly good book or series, wishing so intently to stay in the world and to know what happens to each character as time passes for them.  If only more authors would keep writing through each season of their characters lives, though I can imagine what an exhausting exercise that must be.

This morning I am half-way through Anne of Windy Poplars and as I push on in the series, I am so excited to read about Anne's experiences as a new mother for the very first time since I have become a new mother myself.  If you haven't read the books since you were a child or a teen, I sincerely encourage you to read them now.  There is just so much richness in the many pages that chronicle Anne's life and I wish for everyone to experience the warm pleasure I have found while re-reading (and re-reading) these beloved books.

6 comments:

  1. I just found your blog a couple posts ago but I just wanted to tell you that I think you're really cool. And not in a creepy stalkerish sort of way. I just find that we have similarities. I personally am obsessed (obsessed!!) with my beloved Anne, P.E.I. and everything L.M. Montgomery. My summer does not officially start until I have read at least 3 of her books. I also live in AK (Anchorage) and have a wee ones - a 25 month old boy and a new baby due in July. And did I read somewhere that you had yours at GW? Those are my ladies! Anyhow, you're awesome and I hope you are not weirded out by me saying so.

    P.S. Holy cow the old British lady that does Dianas voice in Anne of Avonlea (or was it Anne of the Island? It's been 6 months since I listened to it) is like nails on a chalkboard.

    P.P.S. And where the heck is Windy Poplars?! I know it's the slowest book in the series but I was super disappointed when I couldn't find it on the Librivox list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Amy! Isn't it strange when you find someone's blog and everything they write sounds so much like you think? I'm glad you found my blog :) And yes some of the people who read for librivox just don't really sound AT ALL like I imagine the characters to. In fact I truly hate some of the chapters (how they're read that is). And I guess there is just no copy of Windy Poplars to be found in audiobook form, maybe I'll find the time to record it for librivox (hahahahaha). Anyway I'm very very glad you have come to my blog. Be sure to follow it so you don't miss anything! And if you have a blog I'd love to follow along too...

      Delete
  2. Reading now that you're a mother, you'll cry more, take it from me! That first birth story, viewed from outside and so economically told... It shocks me to tears every time - but now I'm a mama myself the tears don't stop as quickly. I've lost babies myself. She tells it as though she experienced it herself. (She also wins on my most important criteria for any book dealing with infant death and pregnancy loss - the baby is NEVER forgotten.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am not looking forward to that part, and I agree, Montgomery really did just cover all her bases in these books. She is definitely my most favorite author of all time (the Emily Books used to be my favorite over the Anne books, but now I'm not so sure).

      Delete
  3. What an awesome post! I really need to re-read these books. There is just something lovely about Anne and her spirit. I sure wish I was as creative and imaginative as her...I'm a lot more like Diana or Marilla. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend having a tissue handy if you do reread the...I have just been so emotional rereading this time for some reason, ha. :)

      Delete