Wednesday, July 24, 2013

weekend fun and fresh fish

Saturday we drove to Cooper Landing to meet up with Steve's family for fishing and general merriment. It was a whirlwind of a trip for us, since Steve had to be back in time for work Monday. We so enjoyed spending some quality time with family that we don't get to see as much as we'd like to. Sunday we all went to the Kenai River for some fishing, and it was hot. Riggs went naked most of the afternoon. The guys were getting lots of fish so we stayed later than we'd planned and didn't end up leaving for home until about 9pm. It was one of those extremely fun and extremely exhausting trips and we're so glad we went.


On the way to the Kenai Sunday we spotted this 'small' brown bear at Quartz Creek near the cabin we were staying at. We sat and watched him (her?) for quite a while and Riggs pointed and growled quite a bit. So beautiful yet so deadly. Bears and Moose are animals I love to see - from a distance.

 fishing & family
doesn't get much better

it took 5 hours to make a 3 hour trip
we were so tired and so ready to be home
when we rolled in at 2:30am
but we did get to see this beautiful sunset

when we woke up there was breakfast
then processing the fish
it feels so good to have that fresh, nourishing meat
in our freezer.
I'm thankful.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Completely gorgeous! The bear, the fish, that cute naked bum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous of all that fish! We love salmon in this house. We eat it at least once a week.

    I think the pictures of Riggs and his cousin (I assume) are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I can't believe you were so close to the bear! That fish looks so good and so richly colored!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Whitney, what a great weekend! I love all your pics. The ones of the bear are awesome.

    I'm sending my husband out this weekend on his first Kenai boat dipnetting trip. It's going to be exhausting, but I'm hoping he has a blast. I can't wait to have fish in our freezer...but next year, I really want to pack up the family and go with him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing pictures. and that BEAR...very cool to see it in natural habitat.

    ReplyDelete