Wednesday, July 10, 2013

plum + muffins = so. yum.


I make a weekly (see here, and here) batch of muffins for Steve to eat in the mornings at work. They're also a great snack food for Riggs. I always try to make sure they are loaded with fruit, but I don't want to make the same muffins over and over, so I'm always on the look-out for new recipes.

When I saw the ripe, juicy organic plums on sale at Fred Meyer on Monday, I knew that I'd be making plum muffins this week. When I got home, I searched for a recipe that looked good, and man did I find one. These muffins are seriously amazing. The muffin itself is that perfect texture, and the sweet juicy plum surprises in the middle are to die for. Then there's that little dusting of cinnamon sugar on top...so good!


Plum Coffee Cake Muffins

3/4 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg


2 eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup milk ( I used skim)
1/2 cup melted butter, cooled
3-5 ripe plums, depending on their size, pitted and cut into small chunks.


Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease or spray a muffin pan, or use liners.

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. In another bowl, combine wet ingredients in order, mix thoroughly. Slowly fold the wet mixture into the dry mixture. Divide one half of the batter evenly among the 10 lined muffin cups.
Add a layer of plum pieces to each. Divide the remaining half of the batter over the layer of plums. Combine the remaining 2 tbsp sugar and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the muffins.
Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of one of the muffins comes out clean. Leave to cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes before removing from tin and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. From Maria at two peas & their pod.


3 comments:

  1. You need to make us some for this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Whitney! Wanted to let you know that I featured you today over at the Mom-lovin blog hop!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @CES - that's my plan!

    @Hannah - thank you for featuring ME today! how exciting!

    ReplyDelete