Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Seward

I hope that everyone had a great holiday weekend!  Steve and I spent ours (well, at least Sunday and Monday, those were the only days Steve had off) in Seward together to celebrate our third wedding anniversary.  I can't believe it has already been three years since we said "I do"!  Time flies when you are having fun I guess.

Our trip was exactly what we needed.  It was our first time spending two consecutive days together since Memorial Day weekend!  We drove down Sunday afternoon in the pouring rain and checked into the Seward Windsong Lodge, which was charming, cozy and just what we needed for the night.



We went to dinner at Resurrection Roadhouse, the restaurant connected to the Lodge, and then borrowed a movie from the front desk to watch in our room.  We were both asleep by 9:30, it was so cozy and relaxing!

We got up early the next morning and went to the restaurant for breakfast.  It was delicious!  After checking out of the Lodge, we drove into Seward and spent a few hours at The Alaska SeaLife Center.



It was great to be there again, and Steve really enjoyed it.  The SeaLife Center is home to countless great memories for me.  I spent many weekends there when I was a girl scout working on my Gold Award, which we received by developing a Rehabilitation Station Education Program for kids at the center.  We got to spend the night there quite a few times, and it was such an amazing experience for me.  We also were the recipients of the Coastal American Partnership Award in 2001, and received a plaque and a handwritten and signed letter from the President commending us for our work.


Anyway, getting back to our weekend getaway, we then left to Center and headed over to the Harbor to catch our tour boat, and went on a four and a half hour tour of Resurrection Bay with Kenai Fjords Tours.  It was very, very wet, but amazing!   We saw five different humpback whales, including one that breeched, or jumped completely out of the water.  Unfortunately I was only quick enough to get pictures of two of the animals, but I will have the memory of what we saw forever.  I have seen quite a few whales in my life, but it never fails to amaze me.  They are such beautiful, awe inspiring, creatures that demand attention and respect.    Overall it was a fantastic trip, although it was tricky trying to get my raincoat zipped up.  I think from this point on it will never happen again as Riggs gets even bigger.  It was definitely a two person job! lol.  

Here are some pictures from our trip.     

Some nice big prawn...seeing them live just reinforces to me why I don't eat shrimp...

 Beautiful

Leaving Seward

did I mention it was rainy?

 The Harness Family

Fox Island

Humpback Whale, extremely close to our boat

 there were Lord of the Rings style waterfalls everywhere
On the way back, it got even rainier and mistier,
until everything looked like it was in black and white.  
It took our breath away it was so beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you guys had a great time. I love all the rainy misty pictures and am wishing I went too. Though I guess that would kind of defeat the purpose of a romantic get-a-way :) Love you and the rest of the Harness family!

    ReplyDelete