Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Pizza Crust

I love pizza.  But the more I crave it, the more I shop for it, and then I read the labels, and realize there does not need to be over 20 ingredients in a cheese pizza!  All of the artificial ingredients they load the freezer pizza's with just so that they can be shelf stable and reheat right after freezing are not things I need to be growing my baby on.  Even "natural" or "organic" pizzas have their fair share.  So Sunday I decided on a whim to make my own pizza crust, and it turned out so well I thought I'd share.

Ingredients - preheat oven to 450.  
Add oil, water and yeast to mixing bowl (I proof my yeast first in a separate bowl with  just the water and sugar)
Add 1 1/2 cups flour and stir to mix ingredients for 30 seconds
This is about what it should look like after 30 seconds.  Then mix on high speed for 3 minutes.
This is what it should look like after mixing for three minutes
Then using a wooden spoon, add as much of the remaining flour as you can work in.
Then turn out onto a lightly floured surface and work the rest of the flour in.  I add oil  (about a tsp) to
finish the kneading process so the dough doesn't get overworked and dry.
Knead for about eight minutes total.

Mold into ball and let the dough rest, covered, for about ten minutes.
Roll out to preferred size and place on pizza pan (or stone)
Add ingredients...I used marinara sauce from Costco, local peas and broccoli (from
my adventure at Pyrah's Pioneer Peak Farm), and
lots of mozzarella cheese.  
Bake at 450 for about 15 to 20 minutes, depending on how brown you like your cheese.
Enjoy!

1 comment: