Sunday, January 1, 2017

Goodbye Two Thousand & Sixteen, Hello New Year!


2016 changed me, like the years that have come before, but even more still. Each year that passes I learn more about what's important to me. I learn so much from my children; when I stop and reflect, I see so clearly what a gift they are to me, not just as a mother, but as a person striving to be my best self. God has been whispering two words in my ear all year, patience and kindness. As I stand here on the threshold of another year, I feel in my heart that those words are still echoing in my soul, and I think it will be so indefinitely. They are the two virtues I tirelessly strive to remember and exemplify each and every day as I gently guide and teach my children how to be and how to love. To be patient and kind I find myself having to let go, of many things, but especially of my expectations and my natural inclination towards self-centered focus and self-serving love. I focus on Christ and his unconditional love and I strive to love unconditionally myself. I fail miserably and often, but each day is new and an opportunity to try again. Let this New Year be full of all the real moments that make us both sad and happy and hopeful, another year of 365 new beginnings.

The cause or the virtue that brings inner authentic presence is emptying out and letting go. You have to be without clinging. Inner authentic presence comes from exchanging yourself with others, from being able to regard other people as yourself, generously and without fixation.                                                                          Chogyam Trungpa

Posted originally on my instagram account, @lifealaskanstyle, December 31st, 2016. 

No comments:

Post a Comment