Wednesday, April 2, 2014

DIY distressed wooden cable reel end table


Last week Steve brought a small(ish) wooden cable reel home from work with plans to make it into a table for our living room. I was excited to see how it would turn out, and after working on it for a few hours each day for two days, he was finished. I am so in love with how it turned out and am so thankful to have a husband that is so crafty! I feel like he can do just about anything around the house if he sets his mind to it.

Of course he did have a very special helper to make the job go a little bit easier:

Like I said, I love how it turned out and thing it fits in with the rest of our furniture/style just perfectly. It was actually a 'new' cable reel and we wanted more of a distressed look, so Steve sanded it and used coffee grounds to give the top a more weathered look. He also added some copper details inside the reel, which I think really make the piece. We're trying to decide if we should distress the copper so it gets that 'green' look (like an old penny) or if we should just leave it be.

*ps don't judge the 'theatre' style seating, we pulled the chairs onto the middle of the rug when Steve first brought the table in to see how it looked and that's when I happened to get pictures. We typically have a much more normal seating arrangement in the living room, haha.


I have my appointment today at the midwives and am 98% sure I'll have an ultrasound too, which I'm excited about. I'm just hoping that everything is normal and healthy and that my uterus just happened to grow fast for some reason (more info in my weekly update, here). Happy Wednesday!

7 comments:

  1. That is so adorable! I love it! I hope everything goes well at your appointment today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome!!! I want one! HAHA


    I hope your appointment goes well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! As a child we had so many wooden cable reels laying around because of the nature of my dad's job. Now I wish I could get my hands on one (for free) and it's impossible! Wish they would have saved me some from way back then. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! And I love your big window with the sun shining through!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! We have one of these in our garage... I had never thought to make it a table. I always notice growth spurts in pregnancy... a couple weeks will plug along, then it's HELLO, I'm huge again... just like the babies do, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the table! So creative. And I love Riggs carhartts

    ReplyDelete
  7. The table looks great! I love the pics of Riggs 'helping' his dad. So cute.

    ReplyDelete