Monday, August 11, 2014

currently


thinking | Robin Williams' apparent suicide is really getting me down. My friend Lena said it perfectly, "So sad that a man who made so many people happy took his life because of depression." I struggle with understanding severe depression, especially when it causes thoughts of suicide. I just don't understand what could have been so hard that he'd rather die than live. I'm so glad that I can have peace in this life through Jesus Christ. "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." Psalm 46:1


reading | nothing at the moment...suggestions? maybe something in the fantasy genre?

listening to | All Things Considered in the background and miss Raina groaning and grunting next to me while she 'plays' on her back. Can you call it playing when all she's doing is looking around and sporadically moving her arms and legs?

watching | The Little Mermaid...on repeat! Riggs loves it and when he's not watching it he's pretending to play with the characters. "I swimmin' with flounder mama!" - I get that. When asked what he's doing while crazily hopping around - "I jumpin' on flounder!" oh, of course...wait, what?

thankful for | this crazy life that is so easy and peaceful and simply wonderful compared to so many of the horrible things going on in the world right now. I truly am blessed. 


6 comments:

  1. Well said dear Whitney!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm probably being a bit pedantic but as a psych major and someone who has worked with people who have mental disorders, I think it's important to point out that severe depression is a mental illness. It's most often the result of a biological, chemical imbalance within the person, which is why it's so difficult to understand. It's not like the person just wakes up and chooses to be sad because their life is "bad" - or like they can just pull themselves out of it. I'm certain you weren't trying to reduce depression to that - it's just something that I'm quite passionate about, and as sad as the situation with Williams is, I hope it can be used to break through the stigmas and misinformation about the illness, and raise awareness for something that is so incredibly horrible that it causes people to do these types of things every single day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! I just stumbled across your blog + love what you're doing here! Your photography from Alaska is so beautiful... I'm excited to be a new reader :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, Whitney, what sweet sweet photos! I absolutely love them. So sweet that Riggs loves The Little Mermaid!! My girls love it too. It's too cute when they get sucked into certain shows like that. And I think you should read Hunger Games! ~Jenna // A Mama Collective

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sad about Robin Williams. I've avoided all the stuff about him around because it gets me teary.



    Have you read Deborah Harkness? One of my fave reads. All Souls Trilogy, I believe - and fantasy. I think she writes a damn good story.


    Baby Raina in dad's (I'm assuming) arms in the car, love that photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree about Robin Williams. I was also very sad about it.
    Love your adorable photos. Your baby girl is sooooo cute!
    This is the first time I have found your blog. I am excited to keep stopping by! I LOVE ALASKA!!
    My cousin lives in Anchorage and we have visited 3 times. I can't wait to come back.

    Stopping by from the link up. I am Becky with Choose Happy :)

    ReplyDelete