Thursday, June 5, 2014

new lens (like Christmas in...June!!)

For the last year I've been wishing for a 50 mm lens for my Canon 7D, which came with a kit lens (28-135mm) that has worked ok for me but has definitely been lacking in a few areas. I love photography and spend much of my limited free time becoming more familiar with all the settings on my camera (not just AV mode haha) and learning to use editing software more proficiently.

With baby girl coming I decided to finally bite the bullet and order a new lens. I decided that the 50 mm f/1.8 would be fine for me (and much better for my budget for now) and I can't wait to try it out on my own squishy little newborn when she arrives. But for now I'm already loving it  s o  m u c h! The first day I got it I took hundreds of pictures of Riggs, Tutka and random things outside. I can tell a huge difference with this lens and am kicking myself for not getting it sooner. Obviously it's not good for everything, but it works so much better for portraits and up close baby/toddler pictures than the 28-135mm did (at least for me).

Here's some of my favorites from my first day having it home:

10 comments:

  1. I have the same lens and absolutely love it! I could tell a difference from the kit lens immediately. More sharp. Better color. It. Is. Awesome. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting a 50mm forever! I still have my kit lens too and it was great at first, but now that I have a little bit more experience I can definitely tell it's lacking. I just started saving for a 50! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need a new lens like yesterday! I knew I was going to want one shortly after I got my camera, but man I need it. These pictures are great! And can I just say that Riggs is going to be a lady killer with those big beautiful eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Riggs is such a sweet, sweet boy. Love those toys and big smile! Also, yay for the new lens!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO EXCITING! I got a 50mm last year and ironically (considering the timing of your post) I discovered today that it's broken! I didn't know that is possible! It won't focus in auto and I can't even manually focus it! I seriously don't know what to do. We have 10 weeks to get it sorted out. I'd hate to buy a new one but there is no way I am going through another newborn stage without a 50mm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it really does make such a big difference!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should definitely get one, it's amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Kelsey! And I know what you mean, I put it off forever and now I'm so so glad I finally ordered it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Andrea, I know I'm biased but I think he's pretty special ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just saw that in your blog update, I am so so sorry! I really really hope you're able to get it replaced through the warranty, what horrible timing!

    ReplyDelete