Friday, May 9, 2014

Riggs' first bicycle

We took Riggs to REI and picked out his first ever bicycle this week. All three of us were so excited about it, and Steve and I might have been even a little more excited than Riggs himself. We weren't sure whether we were going to get him a regular 12" bike with pedals and training wheels or a balance bike. He could reach both pedals and even pedal a bit on the 12" bike, but we ended up going with the Skuut balance bike. It's much lighter and easier for him to actually maneuver by himself and I like the idea of him learning balance and steering first. I think he'll pick up pedaling easily later and will probably be able to skip training wheels all together (that was my nephew's experience).


We've been biking all day every day since (or at least Riggs has) and yesterday I pulled him in the bike trailer (with his little bike in the storage compartment) and headed towards Palmer to get our mail and have a picnic lunch out in the sun. What a perfect day! But I was definitely pretty sore in the lower back afterwards and still am today. I think I'll be able to get in a few more bike rides before baby girl gets here though and that makes me happy. I love biking so much and it's a great way to get out and enjoy the beautiful weather and get some exercise at the same time.

definitely got some funny looks for being visibly pregnant and riding my bike, haha
 

2 comments:

  1. Would never have believed how that balance bike worked for Noah. Good choice I think. Abrianna bought Noah's and really likes it too. She is already doing great with it and likes it a lot even though and has used training wheels and pedals. It not only teaches balance and steering but how to use your feet while biking that you don't learn with training wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he's really going to like it:)

    ReplyDelete