Riggs has needed an apron for the longest time now. I knew it would be easy to sew one for him, but I just kept putting it off. Then we were making muffins together last week, and I just decided I was going to sew him one that afternoon during naptime.
I picked out some fabric from my very meager stash that was loosely coordinating since I wanted to make his apron reversible. Then I used an apron I had for 'inspiration' and traced a smaller version onto a piece of tissue paper. I held it up to Riggs to get an idea for size and then cut out what I had to make a few final adjustments. Pretty scientific, eh? haha
Next I folded the fabric I was planning on using in half to cut out the shape of the main body of the apron. I wanted more coverage and a more 'boyish' apron style for Riggs, so I did a square bottom. If I was making an apron for a girl, I'd use a curved hem along the bottom.
I also cut out an extra square of each fabric selection to make a pocket for each side. I ironed the edges under so that I could sew it on to each 'side' of fabric before I sewed them together. Since I was just eyeballing it, the pockets aren't in exactly the same spot on each side, but they're close enough so that you can't tell the difference. I was just sort of making things up as I went, so bear with me.
When I was all done with the pockets I lined the two sides of the apron up right side together and pinned them. Then I sewed them together, leaving about a two inch opening to turn the apron right side out.
Next, I ironed the rough edges of the opening in so it would be easy to sew all a top stitch around the entire outline of the apron.
I didn't have any premade bias tape, so I just made some from the contrasting fabric I had. Here's a great tutorial on how to do that (it's really easy! just an extra bit of cutting and ironing...oh & I actually don't have a 'bias tape maker' I just fold it and iron it as I go).
Once the bias tape was cut, sewn together and folded, it was ready to pin on to the apron. I decided not to use bias tape all the way around the entire hem of the apron, so I just used one long strip. I made the neck portion of the apron pretty long so that it would fit over Riggs' big head for quite a while. I realized the extra length made the front of the apron sag down a bit lower on his chest than I wanted, so I added a snap (pictures further down in the post). My mom also (later) suggested adding a little piece of elastic to the neck.
As soon as the bias tape was sewn on it was all done! Yay! I just zig-zag stitched the ends of the tape to for a quick finish. Riggs was more interested in looking out the window at the bunnies in the front yard than in posing for a picture, but you can still see how generous the coverage is, which is what I was hoping for. I'm really happy with how it turned out for something I just made up as I went!
^--- Here you can see how loose the neck strap is once it's over his huge head. So I pulled out my little snap press and added a snap to hold it in place better when it's being worn: