Thursday, February 7, 2013

my mini me

I was at my grandparents house the other day, and when Riggs took a nap upstairs at my sisters house, I looked at family photographs.  This has been one of my favorite things to do since I was very young, and I used to spend hours laying on the bed at my grandparents cabin, just looking at album after album, some from the 1950's (my moms childhood) and some from the 1980s and 1990s (my childhood).

As many times as I've seen the pictures, they never seem to grow old.  I still feel a thrill when I look at them now.  Sometimes I get goosebumps just thinking about all the magic moments that we've shared as a family over the years.  But something else sort of thrilling happened when I looked at the pictures this time.  A certain realization dawned on me that filled me with excitement, pride and in all honesty a little bit of apprehension.  Riggs is like a little replica of 18 month old Whitney!  Of course it makes me happy to see the resemblance, and I was a pretty cute toddler, but then there's that little bit of self doubt, and I find the thought in the back of my mind when I think about the resemblance, do I really want Riggs to look like me?  Isn't Steve much better looking than I am?  Wouldn't I rather my son look more like his dad?

I remind myself that it doesn't matter, that he also looks just like Steve at certain moments, and that no matter what he's his own little being with a personality that is all Riggs.  And I pray that Riggs doesn't have that bit of insecurity that his mama does.  God made me (and Riggs) just the way I am for a reason, and I am very blessed with good health and a beautiful life, and just need to get over myself and my doubts.



So what do you think?  Dead ringer?  Next time I go to Homer I'll find some pictures of Steve from that age and compare...

Oh and just for fun, this must be a family thing.  Here's picture of my sister Kelsey compared with her first son, Corbin...


3 comments:

  1. Woooow - so look alike!!! I always think that's so adorable when that happens haha

    anythingbetween

    ReplyDelete
  2. So similar!!! Its so much easier to see when you put them up next to each other too! Love it <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete